The Verdi Automated Debug System is the centerpiece of the Verdi SoC Debug Platform and enables comprehensive debug for all design and verification flows. It includes powerful technology that helps you comprehend complex and unfamiliar design behavior, automate difficult and tedious debug processes and unify diverse and complicated design environments.
Cut Debug Time in Half
The Verdi® system lets you focus on tasks that add more value to your designs, by cutting your debug time, by typically over 50%. These time savings are made possible by unique technology that:
- Automates behavior tracing using unique behavior analysis technology
- Extracts, isolates, and displays pertinent logic in flexible and powerful design views
- Reveals the operation of and interaction between the design, assertions, and testbench
Figure 1. Verdi SoC Debug Platform
Complete Debug System
The Verdi automated debug system incorporates all of the technology and capabilities you would expect in a debug system. In addition, the Verdi system combines advanced debug features with support for a broad range of languages and methodologies.
The Verdi system provides the following fundamental debug features:
- Full-featured waveform viewer enables you to display and analyze activity over time
- Powerful waveform comparison engine allows you to isolate differences between fast signal database (FSDB) files
- Source code browser enables you to easily traverse between source code and hierarchy
- Flexible schematics and block diagrams give you the ability to display logic and connectivity using familiar symbols
- Intuitive bubble diagrams help you to reveal the operation of finite state machines
The Verdi system also includes the following advanced debug features:
- Automatic tracing of signal activity enables quick trace activity across many clock cycles with powerful behavior analysis technology
- Temporal flow views provide a combined display of time and structure to help you rapidly understand cause and-effect relationships
- Transaction-based debug with flexible transaction and message support for debug and analyzing designs at higher levels of abstraction
- Assertion-based debug with built-in support for assertions facilitates quick traversal from assertion failure to related design activity
- SystemVerilog Testbench debug with:
- Full source code support for SystemVerilog Testbench (SVTB) and libraries, including Universal Verification Methodology (UVM), to ensure reusability and interoperability of testbench code
- Specialized views that help you understand testbench code, including declaration-based hierarchy browsing and navigation, class inheritance and relationship comprehension, and tracing
- Built-in message logging and automated UVM transaction recording capabilities, coupled with advanced visualization techniques, give you a complete picture of testbench activity in the post-simulation verification environment
- Full-featured interactive simulation control allows you to step through complex testbench code for more detailed analysis
- UVM-aware debug views allow users to explore verification results from specific UVM aspects like resources, factory, phase and sequence
- Transaction-level debug views are based on extended FSDB and support new transaction and relation data recording
VC Apps enable users to create custom applications to overcome their unique design and verification challenges by providing direct access to the design, environment, verification and coverage information in the Verdi SoC debug platform. With more than 300 apps available in the VC Apps Exchange, customers have access to capabilities that address many design challenges including design exploration, design rule validation, debug automation, debug waveform investigation, power estimation and exploration, technology integration and design manipulation. Learn more about VC Apps here.
Embedded Software Debug
Verdi HW SW Debug works with the Verdi Debug Automation System to provide a comprehensive multi-window hardware and software debug view of an SoC design. Hardware and software engineers can both simultaneously view their design at the hardware and software level, including C/C++ and assembly code as well as memory, register and breakpoint windows. Please refer to the Verdi HW SW Debug datasheet for more details.
Low Power Simulation Debug
Verdi Power-Aware Debug works with the Verdi Debug Automation System to enable the analysis of the impact of power intent on a design, and accelerates the debug of unexpected design behavior by automating the process of visualizing and tracing the source of power-related errors. Please refer to the Verdi Power-Aware Debug datasheet for more details.
Mixed-Signal Simulation Debug
Verdi Advanced AMS Debug works with the Verdi Debug Automation System to enable seamless debug for co-simulation of analog, digital and mixed-signal subsystems within a unified debug environment. It accelerates debug of the interfaces between analog and digital designs and simplifies the manual and painful process of co-simulation setup. Please refer to the Verdi Advanced AMS Debug datasheet for more details.