IC Compiler Block-Level Implementation
In this hands-on workshop, you will learn to use IC Compiler to perform placement, clock tree synthesis (CTS), routing, and design-for-manufacturability (DFM) on non-UPF block-level designs with an existing floorplan. The covered flows are aimed at achieving design closure for designs with moderate congestion, and multi-corner multi-mode (MCMM) timing and power challenges.
Day 1: Introduces the GUI, then covers data setup for concurrent MCMM optimization, including on-chip variation (OCV) effects, followed by a high-level overview of floorplanning.
Day 2: The Placement Unit covers; control setup, placement with recommended optimizations, and incremental post-placement optimization. The CTS Unit covers; control setup, clock tree synthesis, post-CTS optimizations, and clock tree analysis.
Day 3: The Routing Unit covers; control setup, clock and signal routing, post-route optimization, DRC fixing, and functional ECOs. The workshop concludes with DFM and data generation for final validation.
The workshop is based on Synopsys' Reference Methodology (RM) flow. Every lecture is accompanied by a comprehensive hands-on lab.
At the end of this workshop you should be able to use IC Compiler to:
- Use the GUI to analyze the layout during the various design phases
- Perform and debug data setup to create an initial design cell which is ready for design planning and placement; This includes loading required files and libraries, creating a Milkyway design library, and applying common timing and optimization controls
- Create scenarios for concurrent MCMM optimization during placement, CTS, and routing
- Account for on-chip variation during timing analysis and optimization
- Apply timing and optimization controls which apply to the entire P&R flow
- Describe some key block-level floorplanning steps
- Perform pre-placement control setup and checks
- Perform setup for integrated clock-gating (ICG) cell optimization
- Perform concurrent MCMM standard cell placement and related optimizations to minimize timing violations, congestion, and power; Includes magnet placement, inserting spare cells, creating move bounds, and placement-aware clock gating
- Perform incremental post-placement optimizations to improve congestion and timing
- Analyze congestion maps and timing reports
- Apply pre-CTS setup steps to define CTS scenarios, constraints/targets, controls and NDR rules
- Execute the recommend clock tree synthesis and optimization flow to build a skew-balanced clock tree network
- Perform post-CTS logic optimization, including hold time fixing
- Invoke incremental CTS and logic optimization techniques as needed
- Analyze clock tree and timing results post-CTS
- Perform routing setup to control DRC fixing, delay calculation, via optimization, antenna fixing, and crosstalk reduction
- Route the clock nets
- Route the signal nets and perform post-route optimization
- Analyze and fix physical DRC violations, using IC Validator from within IC Compiler
- Perform functional ECOs
- Execute design-for-manufacturability steps to improve yield and reliability, including diode insertion, filler cell insertion, incremental via optimization, and signoff metal filling using IC Validator
- Generate output files required for final validation/verification
- Convert the completed block-level design into a soft macro
ASIC, back-end, or layout designers who will be using IC Compiler to perform placement, CTS, and routing on block-level designs
While prior knowledge of IC Compiler is not needed, knowledge of general (non-tool specific) standard cell-based placement, CTS, and routing concepts and terms is helpful.
An understanding of basic digital ASIC design concepts is assumed, including:
- Combinational and sequential logic functionality
- Setup and hold timing
Must be able to use a text editor (vi, vim, emacs) in a UNIX environment.
- Workshop Introduction & GUI (Lecture + Lab)
- MCMM Data Setup (Lecture + Lab)
- Overview of Floorplanning (Lecture)
- Overview of Floorplanning (Lab)
- Placement (Lecture + Lab)
- Clock Tree Synthesis (Lecture)
- Clock Tree Synthesis (Lab)
- Routing (Lecture + Lab)
- Design for Manufacturability (Lecture + Optional Lab)
- Customer Support (Lecture)
Synopsys Tools Used
- IC Compiler - Version 2015.06-SP1
- IC Validator - Version 2015.06-SP1
- Lynx - Version 2015.06-SP1